Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cheaper Gas, Fewer Riders

Hello! Train Rider attended an off-site meeting today and did not ride the rails. I'm back from an unexpected hiatus. I fell outside of my office building last week and broke my wrist. So typing has been a bit of a challenge. According to my ortho, this winter has caused an unprecedented number of wrist injures. I guess I should be happy I didn't fall in an unplowed, icy MBTA lot! That would have only made me bitter.

Much as Train Rider has speculated, overall ridership is down due to the decrease in gas prices. After 11 consecutive months of rider growth, the T noted declines in December 2008 and January 2009 according to this article from today's Boston Globe. The T also said that the decreases can be attributed to the fact that so many Boston-area residents have been impacted by layoffs and other reductions in workforce.

You Move Massachusetts now has a blog. It looks like the blog went live on 2/27/2009. We're now linking to it in the Train blog roll. Learn about some regional transportation initiatives here.

In other news, yesterday's Boston Herald reported that the T is trying to generate some much needed revenue through billboards placed on T-owned properties along I-93.

No comments: