Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Monday Outbound to Grafton

I drove into Boston this morning.

The train home last night was about 20 minutes behind schedule. I was on the 5:30 train, so I should have arrived to the Grafton station at 6:45 p.m. Instead I got there at 7:05 p.m., which is only about 10 minutes earlier than if I took the 6:05 p.m. train (assuming that the 6:05 train actually left at 6:05).

South Station was a nightmare last night. ALL the trains were late. I didn't hear an announcement, but someone in my office said that they were told that the commuter rail line was waiting for conductors.

I wonder what the MBTA/MBCR "he said, she said, let's point fingers at everyone" story is on last night's performance? Gee, the story is either (1) union issues with the employees or (2) equipment issues.

So annoying.

Now that we're 18 days into December, I wonder what the Worcester-Framingham commuter rail line's on-time performance rate is? Will it be better than November's 58.1% on-time performance rate?

We're at the half-way point for the month, with the Christmas and New Year's holiday approaching. I've got to believe that there will not be a lot of commuters taking the train into town the week of 12/24.

So the Worcester-Framingham line just might generate a decent December on-time performance rate.

Of course, the Q4 performance rate for this line is shot, thanks to its dismal performance in October (a mere 48.4% on-time rate) and December.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this valuable blog.

The Worcester/Framingham line's performance is currently in absolute free fall.

This morning's commute was unreal-- 90 minutes delay after P506 (the local before the P508 express) died on route and P508 had to push it into Boston. That makes five 30 minute delays for me over the past five days. Absolutely unreal.

I urge any rider of this line to write to the highest levels of Mass gov't about this situation. The government needs to start by immediately sacking Grabauskas and O'Leary and ordering a top to bottom review and overhaul of the commuter rail system.

It is completely broken.

Train Rider said...

Anonymous -

Thanks for visiting TrainStopping and sharing your commuting experience. I am so sorry yesterday's commute was such a horrible ordeal (I'm happy that I had to drive into work yesterday). It is way too early in the morning to have to deal with any delay.

I agree with your request to have commuter rail riders write to their local and state government officials to try to rectify the services issues plaguing the commuter rail lines, especially the Worcester-Framingham line. We are all paying far too much in fares to have such substandard service.

I also agree that management changes are needed at the MBCR, MBTA and the State Transporation Agency. It is unacceptable that such poor performance standards are being tolerated by the Commonwealth.

Please feel free to invite your fellow commuters to visit http://trainstopping.blogspot.com to voice their concerns or to stay up-to-date on the ongoing issues plaguing the commuter rail lines. It is my hope that my voice will be heard and that a better commuter rail service will be provided. Consecutively delays are not acceptable.

Here's to eventually finding (sooner versus later) a better commute.

Train Rider