Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Morning Commute on the P512

It was frosty this morning, huh? I guess winter has finally arrived.

I took the P512 into Boston this morning. We arrived at South Station right on time at 9:08 a.m.

Today's Providence Business Journal featured this article about the proposed Seacoast commuter rail extension that would link New Bedford-Fall River to Boston via the train.

The "Eyes on the Road" column in today's Wall Street Journal (subscription required) discusses why it isn't a rosy transportation picture when Americans drive less.


Anonymous said...

The 500 (4:45 am from Worcester) was just about an hour late this morning, which led to the cancellation of the 502 (5:40 am from Worcester). So we had a fun combination of 500 riders who were an hour late, and 502 riders who were upset that their express train changed to a local. But on the bright side anybody who doesnt have a monthly pass got a free ride into Boston this morning because the conductors didnt even try to take tickets. A real nice way to start the holiday week...

Anonymous said...

The status sign in Grafton was really helpful too:
"All trains operating on or near schedule 11/11/08". What idiot put the wrong date/holiday status up I wonder?
Grafton Train Rider

AJ said...

That sign has said 11/11 since 11/11!

Anonymous said...

Framingham had the same problem with the LED marquee. It read "ALL TRAINS ON OR NEAR SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2008" until approximately 5:55, a solid 20 minutes after the P500 was supposed to arrive. Thankfully I had access to my email and got the alerts that the train was delayed.

Sarah J. said...

It was pretty funny (or not) when I was paying for parking in Worcester and watched what I thought was the 5:40AM train pull out of Union Station. Everyone asked the time, what train was leaving, did we miss it, etc. There was no communication within the station letting us know that it was the 4:45AM train that just left. It wasn't until I recognized the 5:40Am train conductors sitting on a bench eating breakfast and drinking coffee that I realized that something was wrong. Oh boy, yet another message I have to send to my boss... "the train is running late, again". Thank goodness she is flexible and understanding!

The bright side? Not only do I get my $15.50 back but I got to sleep a little longer. Even though I didn't get into work until 8:15 (i hour later than usual), I felt very rested for a Monday morning!