Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Outbound/Inbound Commutes

I really hated the MBTA/MBCRC yesterday.

My inbound commute was late. And then last night, my outbound commute got even better. Get this - we got to the P529 train (which now departs South Station at 6:15 p.m.) and ALL OF THE DOORS ARE LOCKED!!! Honestly, the only thing I could think was a derogatory "WTF??!!??" I'm not sure what time we got to Grafton last night. . . I would say it was on time.

Not that this is really new news, but last night at South Station I noticed that they posted the on time performance for January. I already knew that the Worcester-Framingham line had the worst performance, but it was interesting to see that the Greenbush line had the best. When the media reports on the monthly on-time performance stats, I guess I tend to focus on the worst performing lines because that seems to be where the Worcester-Framingham line falls.

What I find really interesting is that neither the MBCR nor the MBTA post the monthly on-time performance rates for the commuter rail lines. I tried looking online to see if either agency posted these results to their website, but I couldn't find any links. Only the Boston bloggers are consistent in reporting the stats. I think it should be mandatory that both the MBCR and MBTA post the on-time performance stats to their websites. I just don't understand why there isn't a greater amount of oversight for these two agencies?

I took the P508 train for my inbound commute this morning. For the second day in a row, we were delayed. The train was 10-13 minutes late because of a medical emergency at the West Natick stop. I feel bad for the medical emergency, but really, can't we just get to work on time? Two mornings, two late arrivals this week. I ended up arriving to work around 8:41 a.m. So much for being at my desk by 8:30 a.m.

3 comments:

DJHeini said...

Looks like the MBCR had another bad morning today. I was on the P518 (10:43 out of Grafton), and we came to a stop near Ashland. According to the conductor there was a faulty switch on the tracks and we had to wait for CSX mechanics to show up and fix it. We ended up pulling into Back Bay 29 minutes late (just enough that the MBTA will probably deny any on-time guarantee claim I submit).

I checked, and there were no alerts on MBTA.com about the delayed train so that those who were not yet trapped on the train and could make alternate travel arrangements.

Anonymous said...

That medical emergency on the P508 Tuesday was actually me. Sorry about that. I didn't think things got held up too long. I fainted at the West Natick stop and hit my head on the ground. I followed a link from boston.com to your blog, and was surprised to see a mention of it here.

Anyway, very interesting blog especially as we ride the same train in the morning. Keep up the good work.

Train Rider said...

head58,

I'm so sorry you only fainted. I'm glad you are OK and you didn't have a more serious medical emergency.

Medical emergencies can be scary. Anytime I hear the word "medical emergency" I automatically think of the worst.

Not that fainting isn't serious, but I'm glad you didn't have a more serious medical issue.

Thanks for visiting.

Train Rider