Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rising Cost of Gas May Break MBTA's 2001 Ridership Record

Today's The Boston Globe ran two separate cover stories on the effects that the rising cost of gas in the greater Boston area.

One article focused on how more commuters are turning to mass transit options in lieu of driving. The MBTA is on course to break the ridership record of 354.1 million riders set in 2001.

The second article was about the issues owners of gas guzzling vehicles are facing. I know that we all have individual choices, but I've never understood why so many people in my suburban community own large pick up trucks. These same folks pay someone to do their yard work, so it isn't like they're using their truck to haul stuff around.

When gas is pushing $4.00 a gallon, I'm happy that I have a short commute!

No comments: