Monday, August 25, 2008

Along the Line - Worcester Haunts

This is an off-transportation post about fun things "along the line" so to speak. Of course, I'm speaking about things along the Worcester-Framingham commuter rail line. Feel free to contribute some suggestions.

I live in the 'burbs, the Worcester suburbs. Worcester has changed a lot - I think it is a much better city today than it was back in the 1980s. There is a good vibe in the city and a lot of wonderful places to go out for a bite to eat. I know Train Rider and I have both waxed poetic about The Corner Grille.

Earlier this summer, Train Stopping received a comment about KJ Baaron's (I think Grafton Train Rider left it, but I don't know for sure).

KJ Baaron's is a fun wine & spirit shop located at 220 Summer Street in Worcester, directly across the rotary from Union Station. They host periodic tastings for things beyond just wine, including a Monday night Whiskey Witch whiskey tasting. If you come off the train some night and you want to try something interesting, go into KJ Baaron's. I don't think it will disappoint.

At tonight's Whiskey Witch tasting, KJ Baaron's was also featuring cupcakes made by The Sugar Girls. Sugar Girls is new . . . so new they don't have a website. They may not need a website because their cupcakes are that good. Yes. The cupcakes Are. That. Good. Utterly amazing. I'm having a small party in a few weeks and I will be ordering some cupcakes from the Sugar Girls. The flavors are out of this world and I really should know, as I consider myself a connoisseur of the cupcake. If you're interested in ordering cupcakes, they can be reached at sugargirlcupacakes AT yahoo.com.

Rounding out some downtown Worcester fun, we capped off our evening at Armsby Abbey. This place was fantastic. It is only a few weeks old and it was opened by the team who operates The Dive Bar on Green Street. Armsby Abbey has an extensive menu of artisan beverages, not just artisan beers but artisan spirits too. And the food menu features locally grown produce. The place, located at 144 North Main Street (so there is a lot of available street parking) is a really great joint. Amazing atmosphere, great service, a fantastic menu, and great cocktails. Check it out - especially after a bad commute, Armsby Abbey will make you smile.

So that's it for the first Along the Line post. We'll be covering other haunts that we like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a recommendation as well! Bocado Tapas Bar and Restaurant, located at 82 Winter Street in Worcester. Absolutely delicious and the variety is incredible. Make sure you bring a big appetite because there will be plenty to eat! (Just look at their menu - www.bocadotapasbar.com)

Commute-a-holic said...

Sarah J. -

I haven't had a chance to visit Bocado yet. But I'm a huge fan of Block 5 Bistro Bar (http://block5bistro.com/) and Mezcal on Shrewsbury Street (http://www.block5bistro.com/).

I'm also super excited that the Niche Hospitality Group will be opening the new restaurant at the Beechwood Hotel.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be writing more about "Along the Line" in the near future.

Commute-a-holic

Anonymous said...

I love Sugar Girls! I think I've tried every one of their cupcakes and they really truly Are. That. Good. One note, though -- their email is incorrect above. It's SugarGirlsCupcakes@yahoo.com Amazing!